Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Plastic Beads

I am sitting at the public hospital, waiting for my turn at the doctor's office. It's always fascinating for me to do people-watching. I get to see how people talk, dress, act, and do while waiting. On my right-hand-side are an elderly couple. Judging from their look, I can tell they are people who can't afford a private-practice specialist. The gentleman on my left is quite the opposite. He's busy with his gadget--just like what I'm doing right now. Then I hear something popped, and I see a bead rolling gently on the floor, finding its way around my feet, straight to the front. Apparently the elderly lady is wearing an inexpensive plastic necklace. Probably she's been fidgeting on it, while anxiously waiting or her turn to see the doctor. Could she suffer from a chronic disease? Is she waiting for the news after a lab test? Are they worrying about not being able to earn their income this morning due to this long waitng line? Anyway, they are frantically gathering the beads on the floor. The guy-with-cool-gadget only points to the floor, saying, "There's one more, right there!" He doesn't even bother to move his butts to lend a hand. Yeah, sure. You're doing the noble-class thing. Just scream and yell and point to the floor. I get off my seat, pick it up, and hand it to the lady. The gentleman (I'm guessing he's her husband), thanks me profusely, just for picking up one single cheap plastic bead as if I have just saved their lives from a trainwreck. He then gives the bead to the lady, who still looks confused. It's very interesting for me to see different attitudes and reactions here. There's this man, looking healthy and wealthy, who doesn't give a damn to move a muscle in order to help. And there's this old man, with worn-out clothes, looking tired, who acts so very tenderly to his lady. It doesn't matter to me who the lady is to him. They can be perfect strangers, but I am deeply moved by the way he treats her, looks at her, sits protectively by her side, and speaks gently to herI immediately say a silent prayer. That in His time, God will let me have a husband who treats me like a lady, even when I only can afford to wear something stupid like cheap plastic necklace. I'd respect such a man, who in a split-second shows his respect and love to others regardless what they look like. And bless the young man-with-cool-gadget. He's still busy downloading songs on his tablet, and he makes sure everyone -- I mean, everyone -- can hear the song....

No comments:

Post a Comment